Sunday, January 11, 2009

iPhone on Beach Cruiser!


This obvious idea popped into my head, and now I'm looking for a proper bracket to secure (better than velcro) my iPhone to the handlebars.  Also looking for an app for the iPhone which would replace the bike computer I just bought.  I think an app could do a much better job, especially with GPS ability, interfaced with terrain maps could yield vertical climb/descent info.  The only thing the bike computer can do that the iPhone is missing is ambient temperature.

This is a nice setup, especially since the iPhone 3G has built-in speakers, so you can cruise with tunes without the dangly wires of earphones.

It has not been announced yet, but I'll bet that soon the iPhone will have video recording capability, and I'll be able to record the rides and post them here!

The bracket that I would want for the iPhone should allow it to swing from horizontal to vertical layout, and to not block the camera lens in either layout, so I can reduce camera shake in photos by using the bike as a (wait for it) bipod.

There are laws against video players in the front dash of automobiles (too distracting), so I'm wondering if that might also apply to bikes.  In fact, I need to check out all the laws regarding bikes, state and local, if any.

In other work today, I removed the reflectors front and rear, saving 2.6 ounces total.  They were poorly aligned, easily put out of alignment, and the rear one was blocked by the rear fender.  I'm thinking of reflectors which would hang, loose, from the seat, and from the handlebars, so that the natural movement of riding would create a more noticeable reflection.  This setup would also eliminate bracket alignment challenges, and it would be a lot cleaner.

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking for this, I loved to read your article. You must be putting a lot of time into your blog!
    bikes

    ReplyDelete