Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Fiesta Island Tour



I now have a Used Bike.

My perfect, unmarked bike was unceremoniously dumped in the back of Mark's truck, on top of his, which I guess is better than being on the bottom, I don't know. In any case, it has almost certainly picked up a few dings during the drive to/from Mission Bay.

This trip was intended to be an experiment with the iPhone as a bike computer. Since it is only attached to the bike with Velcro, I wanted as smooth a ride as possible, so we selected Mission Bay as the target.

Temperature, 80 degrees, cloudless, no wind. No better day ever existed in the history of the planet. We toured by the edges of the bay, on wide concrete walkways, with low traffic, and the gentlest, almost unnoticeable, rise and fall in elevation. It was smooth riding in virgin territory. This is the first time I have ever toured Fiesta Island, or anywhere in Mission Bay, for that matter. It was so good, I know I'll be back, with video!

The Velcro mount worked like a charm.

A few minutes after the bikes were loaded back into the truck, I had loaded the trip stats up to the EveryTrail.com website, via the Edge network on the iPhone. It all went flawlessly.

On the way back we got some lunch at the Torrey Pines Glider Port. I had the Turkey Classic sandwich on toasted sourgough bread with tortilla soup prepared to perfection by chef Miguel Fernandez. There was no glider activity today because the winds are still off-shore.

Check out the stats below. Click on the green "Play" arrow to trace the route. Note elevation stats! This stuff is so cool, considering it was all done with an iPhone!

Fiesta island

Widget powered by EveryTrail: GPS Geotagging

Fiesta island at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail:GPS Geotagging

1 comment:

  1. Dude,

    I read the story and when I saw the picture of the bikes tossed in the truck, I thought "this can't be MM" -- he would never do that -- he would have a system for transferring bikes from location to location!

    ReplyDelete